You are here:

Home About Whittington
About Whittington PDF Print E-mail

 

 dianne_whittington_031 

Whittington Castle is based near the borders of Oswestry in Shropshire England.

The strikingly picturesque and romantic ruins are steeped in much history, with bountiful tales of bitter border warfare, romance and legend.

 

The tower keep is 12th century, but has been later modified, the outer gatehouse is no doubt the work of Sir Fulk Fitzwarine of the early 13th century and above the archway can be seen his coat of arms.

 Looking at the remains of this once extensive Marches Castle one wonders why this particular site was chosen. In most cases castles had natural defensive features to prevent easy access for attacking forces, such as a river, steep cliffs or deep moat.

 

The highest land in the village,Pen-y-bryn, would have given excellent views towards Offa's Dyke, over which the Welsh raiders frequently invaded English territory. It was protection provided by the treacherous marshlands surrounding the site which was the decisive factor in its choice for the first earthworks and wooden Castle. 

 

William Peverel built the Norman Motte and Bailey castle after the demolition of the previous stronghold built at the time of King Offa, probably of wood with a stockade of sharp posts.

 

William Peverel had no male heir so his eldest daughter Mellet inherited the castle.

The victor of a tournament for her hand in marriage was Warin de Metz of Lorraine who founded a long line of Fitzwarines. They held the castle until 1420.

Much of the remains of the keep date from a rebuilding in 1222. The outer gatehouse with two towers had a 42 foot long drawbridge leading to the drier land to the east.

 

During the civil war it was loyal to the Royalists until Oliver Cromwell's Roundheads took it by force in 1643. At the time of Queen Mary II ownership of the castle was granted to Fitz-Alan, Earl of Arundel.

Later it was sold to Francis William Albany Esq, a London merchant whose Manor and Estate was Fernhill. When his granddaughter Sarah married Thomas Lloyd Esq of Aston the two estates were united.

So to the last  joint owners Mrs A Hamilton-Hill and the Lady Newborough  of the Lloyd lineage.  The Castle is now owned and run by the local community.

The existing Castle is set in about 12 acres of ground and is the remains of a Norman home.